The Center for Genome Architecture seeks to introduce outstanding undergraduates to a team of researchers with various academic backgrounds, to explore topics at the forefront of science. This program is associated with Rice University and the Center for Theoretical Biological Physics.
Previous interns from our lab have gone on to become Putnam Fellows, Rhodes Scholars, and to have their work featured on the cover of Nature and Science. However, they are united by a willingness to look beyond traditional boundaries and confidently apply sophisticated quantitative thinking to uncharted scientific territory.
If you’re looking for money or a quick publication, we’re not the right place for you. But if you are interested in doing the kind of research people will still be reading about 10 years from now, we look forward to reviewing your candidacy.
Students have generally completed this program for course credit:
- BIOE 400/401
- BIOC 310
- BIOC 401/402/412
- COMP 290/390/490
- EBIO 306
- HONS 470/471
If you have some of the skills below and a passion for science, apply here
Wet Lab Skills
- General tissue culture techniques, including culturing of human and mouse cell lines, primary cells, embryonic stem cells and iPS.
- Transient and stable cell transfection, virus-based infection.
- RNAi-based knockdown and vectormediated ectopic expression, markerbased positive clone selection.
- Perform flow cytometry acquisition and analysis, immunofluorescent microscope analysis.
- Cell-based assays to evaluate viability.
- Protein analysis by western blotting, enzymatic assays.
- DNA/RNA sequencing
- Chromatin immunoprecipitation
- Genome editing (CRISPR, TALENS)
- Strong knowledge and experience in either Java or C/C++
- Experience using scripting language such as Python, Perl, or Awk
- Interest in answering questions through the quantitative analysis of data
- Highly motivated and able to work in dynamic environment
- [Bonus] Experience with Amazon AWS and Github
- [Bonus] Experience in Android development or with 3D Modeling/Gaming Engines
- [Bonus] Experience with building software-based data visualizations